Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Bathing - My Kid Isn't Laundry

A few years ago, I attended a conference regarding children with disabilities. I clearly remember one workshop that I went to addressing ways to care for your special needs child. The woman talked about alternative types of equipment. On the subject of bathing, she said,"Instead of using a bath chair, you could simply use a laundry basket to bathe your child in the tub." WHAT?? She was suggesting I put my daughter who had no trunk control or head support into a laundry basket in a bath. The problem is that many insurance companies will not pay for bath chairs, they consider them "luxury items". We were lucky to obtain a bath chair though insurance after multiple letter from Olivia's doctors and therapists.

Although the bath chair is indeed very helpful, there is still the challenge of lifting her in and out of the chair. And then after the bath, where to put her down and dry her and change her. We are in the process of working with a contractor to possibly put on an addition to our bath to create room for a roll-in shower and changing area for Olivia. I can't imagine what the cost will be but it will become a necessity.

I propose the question, what do other parents do for bathing? Are there better options for equipment? Methods of transporting them in and out of the bath/shower? And lastly, has anyone had success using a laundry basket?

No comments:

Post a Comment