Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!

It is not often I get time to sit and think about what I am thankful for. But on this day, it is nice to reflect over the past year. I think what I am most thankful for this year aside from having a wonderful family, friends and a job, is perspective. And on this day of feasting, I will try to explain using the view point of a turkey.

I have to imagine that turkeys trot around all day not concerned much about more than eating, drinking, sleeping and making more turkeys. Of course, not being a turkey (I suppose that is debatable sometimes) I wouldn’t know for sure. But I bet they don’t get upset if their feathers are out of place or if it rains and they can’t go and play in the yard or if their favorite turkey friend can’t watch the football game that day. I would imagine that they would be most unhappy if they didn’t get their ration of food for the day or if they really understood what was going to happen to them before Thanksgiving.

Perspective can make life so much easier. I try not to worry about the small things. Before Olivia and Hailey were born, the little things used to frustrate me so much more than they do now. But your perspective on life changes quite a bit after your kids are born and especially if you have to endure years of trials and tribulations due to a child with chronic and severe health issues. All I have to do is watch my girls sleeping and all the day’s frustrations fade away.

So what I am attempting to say is don’t sweat the little things. It is truly energy wasted. Not to mention, most of the little things are out of your control. Spend time and energy trying to enjoy life and make it more robust. Perspective is a powerful tool. It can allow you to see life through the eyes of anyone you chose if you really pay close attention. It can change the way you live and treat other people. It can open doors to a world where you see more good than bad. And most importantly, it will make you realize how lucky you are not to be a turkey on Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment