Tuesday, November 24, 2009

"The Traveling Wheelchair"

I came across a great website today titled "The Traveling Wheelchair". I started doing some research regarding accessibility for wheelchairs in stores. I took the girls to the mall yesterday to see Santa and for some window shopping and just to get out of the house (I know, it was only the first day of the girls' vacation week but I was getting ANTSY!)

For the first time I really noticed how difficult it was to navigate Olivia's chair around some of the stores. The displays were all so close together we were knocking off items left and right. Hailey would see something down an aisle and call us over to it but I could not for the life of me get Olivia through. It was a maze I was not about to enter. The two stores that caused the most problems were surprisingly kid friendly stores, Children's Place and Claire's. I noticed other mom's with strollers having difficultly as well. Not a fun shopping experience.

On "The Traveling Wheelchair" website, they assess places for accessibility and other things such as parking, restrooms and height of service counters. They have a great mission statement, "To help make the world more sensitive, respectful, safer and accessible to all." It appears the site mostly rates locations in Massachusetts. We could really use something like that down here in Florida! Sounds like a new project for us, what do you think Jon?

No comments:

Post a Comment