Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The Gift Of Time - Respite

We were introduced to a wonderful organization a few years back that provided an invaluable service to us - respite care. Respite provides relief for families caring for children with special needs. When you are a parent of a special needs child, your daily life is changed completely. You do not get breaks from the daily routines and stress that is involved. It is very difficult, if not impossible, to find day care for your child as most do not have the ability to care for someone with medical needs. Taking time out to spend with your spouse and other children is very important and sometimes other family members and friends are not available or knowledgeable enough to care for your child.

It was a big step learning to trust someone else with Olivia at first. When I was able to have a few hours to myself once a week, I felt better about myself and had a chance to do the things I needed to do. I could take Hailey to the park or meet Jon for lunch. After being at home with Livy for so long, away from the rest of the world, I finally felt like myself again.

The only problem I have found with respite care is that it is very difficult to obtain. We lost one of our providers a ways back and there was no one else available to take her place. Luckily, my sister had moved down to Florida and she was able to provide respite care for us. I know of many families who have the need but cannot find a placement.

If you know of someone who could use respite care, consider a few hours a week or month to help out. Even family members can provide respite care and receive payment. Most importantly, you will be giving a gift of time...something so many of these families need.

Click here to search for respite care organizations.

No comments:

Post a Comment